Sewing Away

Archive for the ‘adjusting’ Category

My son is 2 years old now, he does not really appreciate PJs with feet anymore. We do not buy those any more but still have one left and just got another one as a gift. Totally simple, easy project but I thought it might help some beginners out there.

So here we have the PJs with the feet.

  
  
This type has a little elastic at the heel, so you should cut off the foot above that.

  
  
I used specific cuff fabric, it is really strechy, so I used about 60-70% of the length of the pants’ end. General rule of thumb is to use 80%, but it looked too much in this case.

  
Fold the cuff in half wrong sides together and sew them together. I used my serger, but you can use a zigzag or a strechy stich if you do not have a serger.

  
  
Fold it in half this time length wise, again wrong sides together. 

 
Now you have right sides out (visible). Put this ring around the leg, that they both have raw edges up.

  
I clipped them together only at 2 places, the place where the cuff has the seam to the inner seam of the leg. (I prefer it in, because it is less visible that way.) Check out where the half of the length of the cuff is and that point goes to the other seam. It look like a lettuce inside, but it is okay until every bit of the leg is in. 

Now, take of the ditachble piece of your sewing surface (do not know the professional name) to make it easier to sew this little thing. 

  
Do it slowly. Always make sure there is no wrinkle in the fabric of the leg and pull only the cuff as much as needed.

  
I had another little tricky thing; one leg is  closing with snaps, there you have to keep the fabrics at the right (closed) position. If you feel unsure about this, you can stitch the leg closed first.

And here you go:

  
  
Have a lovely weekend!

Advertisements

I just want to share a clever idea from the internet. I bought a pair of shoes for my 2 years old. The one with the velcro was sold out in his size and anyway I like the style of the one with shoelaces better. 

But he is too small for tying his own laces and I would like him to be able to put on and off his shoes on his own. (It is not happening yet, but I think soon enough.) So I knew I would have to alter them somehow and internet as most of the time helped me out. Just put an elastic band instead of the laces.

I chose one with a popping color. At the end I decided that the knot should be in front of the tongue, not the bother the little feet. Also put some washi tape at the ends to stop fraying.

Aren’t they cute?

   
   

I bought this maxi summer dress, altough it was not my exact size. It was the color, the style I have wanted for years and it was cheap, had a discounted price. So, in spite of I usually wear L, I bought the last item what was an M. I put it on at home and it was okay, except the bust, I could not button it up. So it is a simple little trick to adjust dresses ir shirts. I cut up the sides and inserted triangle shaped fabric-pieces there. I was lucky, I found an old T-shirt with a pretty similar color, what I used for the inserts. I added darrs in the middle of the extra parts to be tighter on the top and wider in the middle. So know I can comfortably wear the dress. 🙂

20130427-155330.jpg

Few photos of the process:

20130427-155410.jpg

20130427-155429.jpg

20130427-155441.jpg

20130427-155452.jpg

20130427-155501.jpg

20130427-155510.jpg