Sewing Away

Posts Tagged ‘baby

My son is 2 years old now, he does not really appreciate PJs with feet anymore. We do not buy those any more but still have one left and just got another one as a gift. Totally simple, easy project but I thought it might help some beginners out there.

So here we have the PJs with the feet.

This type has a little elastic at the heel, so you should cut off the foot above that.

I used specific cuff fabric, it is really strechy, so I used about 60-70% of the length of the pants’ end. General rule of thumb is to use 80%, but it looked too much in this case.

Fold the cuff in half wrong sides together and sew them together. I used my serger, but you can use a zigzag or a strechy stich if you do not have a serger.

Fold it in half this time length wise, again wrong sides together. 

Now you have right sides out (visible). Put this ring around the leg, that they both have raw edges up.

I clipped them together only at 2 places, the place where the cuff has the seam to the inner seam of the leg. (I prefer it in, because it is less visible that way.) Check out where the half of the length of the cuff is and that point goes to the other seam. It look like a lettuce inside, but it is okay until every bit of the leg is in. 

Now, take of the ditachble piece of your sewing surface (do not know the professional name) to make it easier to sew this little thing. 

Do it slowly. Always make sure there is no wrinkle in the fabric of the leg and pull only the cuff as much as needed.

I had another little tricky thing; one leg is  closing with snaps, there you have to keep the fabrics at the right (closed) position. If you feel unsure about this, you can stitch the leg closed first.

And here you go:

Have a lovely weekend!


I just want to share a clever idea from the internet. I bought a pair of shoes for my 2 years old. The one with the velcro was sold out in his size and anyway I like the style of the one with shoelaces better. 

But he is too small for tying his own laces and I would like him to be able to put on and off his shoes on his own. (It is not happening yet, but I think soon enough.) So I knew I would have to alter them somehow and internet as most of the time helped me out. Just put an elastic band instead of the laces.

I chose one with a popping color. At the end I decided that the knot should be in front of the tongue, not the bother the little feet. Also put some washi tape at the ends to stop fraying.

Aren’t they cute?



We use washable diaper with my LO. I was looking for some polarfleece solution to try and I found great free patterns by Katrina’s Sew. Check them out here!
I only made the stripes around the thighs longer.



My fabric (what is actually a blanket from IKEA) seemed to be too thin, so I used 2 layers and I inserted a double wetzone. So at the critical area it has four layers what I hope is enough if the inner diaper starts to leak. Basically I want to find a nighttime solution.
The actionphotos are not real, because as you can see he has his onesie on under the cover.




If it works probably I will try Katrina’s longies.

Have fun!

We do not have a separate changing table, only a mat what you can put on the top of the crib. So it means we move it a lot, there is no space for diapers, cream or anything to be on it. That is why I thoughy that it would be practical, useful and convenient to have an organizer what you can hang on the side of the crib. I recycled and old pair of pants, used my fancy new snaps for closure and made the decorative robots with a bleachpen.

Have a nice weekend!









My little son has been growing so fast since he was born, that by the time I manage to make something for him it is already almost too small to wear. I have to plan in advance and start making bigger sizes.
Here are a few pair of pants what are easy enough to throw together in a short time.


My husband really wanted to have a space themed mobile for our coming baby’s (less then 2 weeks- so exciting) crib. So we made one. 🙂 He actually did at least the half of the project, drew, cut, sewed, balanced. We love the result and hope that our son will love it too.


It has stars, spaceships and planets, oh and even an astronaut and a moon.




I realized that probably could use a few more overalls, so I made a pattern based on an existing one and here is the first result.


I used scraps of 2 old T-shirts. You can guess what the baby’s name is going to be! 😉


I guess I could upload the pattern if anyone needed it, let me know.
Happy sewing!

I am preparing here for my baby to come. 🙂 Another piece of that is a new cover for the baby car seat what we got used. Probably I will make a little blanket for it too.




Have a nice weekend!

Hello there!

Last weekend was productive; I made this little baby hoodie as well. Again the tutorial I found is nice and easy, check it out here. Credit goes to leafytreetopspot.

So this is the result:


And this is my husbands old sweater what I used for the project:


A few more photos of the sweater where you can see that the front is lapped, giving an easy access to the baby. 🙂



I am planning to do more baby sewing projects this weekend! Have a nice time!

I have just finished making 3 pairs of babypants for my coming little one.


This pair is made of my hb’s old, small T-shirt, plain black with wider legs at the bottom and an R2D2 pattern at the bum. 🙂


This pair is the upcycled version of my old boring T-shirt with Egyptian hieroglyphs on it. They appear now only on one leg. There cuffs at the bottom.


This pair is warmer, made of some leftover fabric I had. Also cuffs of the black T-shirt.


Hereis where I found the project by Pieces by Polly what takes you further to Helping little hands’ tutorial with free printable pattern.

Have a nice Sunday!